As more and more people choose to enjoy the convenience of an elevator in their home, they also start asking the same question: Do they need annual home elevator maintenance?
The short answer to that question is yes. The better you take care of your elevator, the longer it will last, and annual maintenance plays a role in that preventative care. Is it possible to skip an annual? Yes, but we wouldn’t put it off for too long. Elevators are complex machines, and all complex machines require attentiveness. We’ve put together a guide to determine when you should get maintenance, and we’ve also outlined the benefits of this service.
How Often Do Home Elevators Need Maintenance?
Generally speaking, the more maintenance you perform on your elevator, the better. The best way to ensure these machines continue to run smoothly is to address small problems before they turn into big ones, and if you go for more than a year without home elevator maintenance, you may find yourself dealing with some big problems.
How often you should get maintenance for your home elevator depends on a number of factors, such as:
- Model: What type of elevator you installed may impact how often your elevator requires maintenance. Depending on the type, it could even require more frequent inspections than annually. You may have parts that need more vigilant attention. Consult with the company that installed your elevator to find out their recommendation. We always talk to our customers about maintenance needs when we install a home elevator.
- Contract: You may have a contract with the installation company that designates a certain number of inspections. If so, you should take advantage of those opportunities and get the service. That’s one less thing you’ll have to think about if inspections are already scheduled to occur.
- Location: Does your town have any regulations regarding home elevator usage and inspection? Some municipalities put these regulations in place as a precaution to ensure homeowners take proper care of their elevators and don’t run into long-term troubles. You should contact your local city government to inquire about any inspection regulations. You should do so when you have your elevator installed as well to discuss any permits or fees that might be required.
Benefits of Regular Home Elevator Maintenance
Why should you get regular maintenance for your home elevator? It’s really a matter of preservation for your investment. The more attention you give the elevator’s upkeep, the longer it will last and the more efficiently it will run. You likely see similar results for other appliances or tools. When you question whether you should get your annual inspection, keep the following five advantages of regular maintenance in mind:
- Save money: Repairing a snagged wire or replacing a small component won’t cost a lot of money, but if that snagged wire snaps or the component breaks, it could cause serious damage to the rest of the elevator, which will take a lot of money to fix. By addressing small matters when they come up, you can decrease the likelihood of a serious issue arising with your elevator and save yourself those expenses.
- Gain peace of mind: Your family uses your elevator every day. You want to keep them safe, and knowing that your elevator has been examined, inspected and given a thumbs up will give you reassurance. Regular elevator maintenance is insurance against worrying about whether all your parts are up to date or your cables are worn.
- Form a habit: You don’t think twice about scheduling your annual car inspection because it’s a habit. It’s something you do every year, and it has become second nature. Getting regular elevator maintenance can become a habit too. In fact, you may even want to schedule it the same month as your car inspections so you have a reminder that it’s that time of year.
- Trust an expert: If you use a home elevator maintenance checklist, you can take care of a number of small items yourself. For instance, you can find scratches in a ceiling or a burnt-out light. But you may need assistance to identify the more serious issues. Finding an expert you trust to perform an inspection also gives you someone to call if your elevator exhibits a problem. Knowing and trusting your elevator mechanic will set you up for a better experience overall.
- Learn more about your elevator: Many people who get elevators in their homes are fascinated by mechanical gadgets. Practicing annual elevator maintenance will give you a chance to indulge this side of your personality. You might even find yourself looking forward to it!
Are you interested in learning more about home elevator maintenance? Or have you been thinking about getting a home elevator and want to know your options? Contact us today by filling out our online form or calling 800-343-9007. We look forward to helping you!